Search This Blog

Monday, August 30, 2010

La Cage

Saturday night, my husband and I went out to see La Cage Aux Folles on Broadway. This was his anniversary present to me. We also went out for a really nice meal at a restaurant called Marea.

Marea is an Italian style restaurant that has mostly fish, although it also has some meat and chicken, and I ended up eating steak. It's a four course meal. I started out eating a crabmeat salad, followed by a lobster ravioli, and then the aforementioned sirloin and finished off by a five choice cheese plate.

Wow. The food was so good.

We also drank the ambrosia of a really good red wine, which we fortunately walked off in our eight city block jaunt back to the theater.

That's where we saw La Cage. (Or as some of you might know it better, it's the french musical version of the Birdcage.)

The show starts outside theater where a drag queen meets you on the street, takes pictures with the audience members, and, in general, warms up the audience for the night that's about to come.

The theater itself is pretty small for the a Broadway show. There is a line of tables right in front of the stage to make it really feel like a nightclub and we were seat directly behind that in the row right behind those tables. The cast comes down off the stage throughout the show and there was one point that we were so close to Kelsey Grammer I could have reached up and touched him.

The cast was fantastic. The idea of the show is summed up, I think, in the two most powerful songs: I am What I am and The Best of Times with the idea being that you can't be really happy until you accept that you are what you are (or your family is what it is) and that these are the best of times so you should enjoy them.

We loved every second and it was really a night to remember.

If you're in New York City, I highly recommend going to see it.

Best,

RR

1 comment:

  1. *sigh* Wishing I lived closer!

    Glad you had a great time. I'd check it out if I was in the area. :D

    ReplyDelete